Saturday, February 12, 2011

A long love....

It's getting close to Valentine's Day so thought I would post about my parent's long love affair.
It started when a Minnesota farm boy met a city girl visiting the farm.  Love bloomed across the miles.
She was working as nurse in new Jersey and later Seattle.
He was working the farm in the Red River Valley of Minnesota.
I have several boxes of my parent's love letters.
They wrote constantly, sometimes more than once a day.
It was during WW II when their love affair started and grew.
They talked about their work and the weather and their families and the farm and the war 
and the economy and their love for each other.  
I have not read through them all but each one I have read touches me in some way.
They had a long, deep, committed love and were married for 56 years.
"Their" song was "As Time Goes By," 
"Their" movie was "Casablanca."
They loved the Lord and their kids (and spouses) and grandkids
We all miss them so much and are so glad for their long love affair...




These boxes are filled with their letters.  Wish I could transcribe them all and make a book for the family.




As Time Goes By

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is still (just) a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by

And when two lovers woo
They still say: "I love you"
On that you can rely
No matter what the future brings
As time goes by

Moonlight and love songs - never out of date
Hearts full of passion - jealousy and hate
Woman needs man - and man must have his mate
That no one can deny

It’s still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by 

© 1931 Warner Bros. Music Corporation, ASCAP

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming by to say hi! Your parents love and devotion is such a great example. Those love letters are such a treasure. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, thanks for the post. You know what I wish more and more as the years go, by: that I had talked more with Dad and Mom, espeically to ask them questions about the past.

    ReplyDelete