Saturday, December 4, 2010

Love that Lutefisk


Doug definitely knows how to make me happy. He surprised me by reserving tickets for us at the annual Lutefisk Dinner at St Peter Lutheran Church in Mesa.
People mock and deride the humble lutefisk but for me it brings nothing but joy.
The feeling I get anticipating this meal may be what other people get
 anticipating a delicious cinnamon roll.  
It all has to to do with my childhood. 
Our main Christmas celebration occurred Christmas Eve and consisted of a meal of 
lutefisk, white sauce, boiled potatoes and potatis scorv. 
We went to Grandpa and Grandma Johnson's where my aunts and uncles and cousins gathered for the evening.
So, this meal today took me back to that...




This man greeted us at the door.  He walked about the room during the meal and it was he who made a good amount of the delicious lefse that was served.
 (Which was definitely Doug's favorite part of the meal.)


Dick and Dolores Korsmo joined us. Some strangers sat at our table and, wouldn't you know, they had friends in common from North Dakota.  


Here is it, looking yummy.  
I almost cried when I took my first bite of lutefisk.


This has absolutely to do with lutefisk or my Swedish heritage but I found is on the kitchen floor as I stepped away from the radio after finishing listening to
the Prairie Home Companion tonight.


Rounding out the day with ginger snaps.  Made 13 dozen, most for the treats that will be served after Trinity's annual Sounds of Christmas celebration next weekend.
I use Mom Davidson's recipe, which is  delicious, but after reading the Pioneer Woman's similar recipe I did add cardamom and may do so hereafter. YUM.


By the way, lutefisk and home-made potato sausage are available at Carlson Meats in Grove City, MN.  Charles Carlson is a third generation Swedish butcher and happens to be the father of my son-in-law Pete.
I understand Midwesten Meats in Mesa, AZ also sells these Scandinavian meats.

And I close with a shot of the front of our home....





3 comments:

  1. In a strange way, I wish I could have been with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advertising, Sue! I'll be sure to show your blog to Gramma Lue...Funny to think that Bowman's ancestors are all lutefisk lovers - Carlsons, Davidsons, Olsons, Johnsons, and Jacobsons. In fact, his great-great-grandpa, William Carlson, did business with Olsen Fish Co., the "Love that Lutefisk" company. And his Gramps still does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I have NEVER heard of lutefisk.
    I wikipedia'd it and boy, does it take a long time to prepare. Apparently it's worth it!
    If it ever crosses my path to try it, I will!
    A scorpion! Yikes!! Will they sting you in your own home ;)?
    I make ginger crinkles every year and they are soft and gooey and look like yours.
    Yum!
    SO glad you stopped my blog so I could say Hi to you!
    Blessings to you as you make your home!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete